Life Member since 1993
1964 Tokyo Paralympics representing Australia:
- Gold Swimming, Men’s 50m Freestyle Supine incomplete class 3
- Gold Swimming, Men’s 50m Breaststroke incomplete Class 3
- Silver Weightlifting, Men’s Featherweight
- Silver Swimming, Mens Relay – insufficient medals
- Bronze Swimming, Men’s 50m Freestyle Prone incomplete class 3
Growing up in Borneo and Venezuela, Michael travelled the world with his father who was a contractor for Shell. At age five, Michael contracted Polio while in Borneo and was quickly returned to Australia to rehabilitate. This was when he was introduced to wheelchair sports, which he enjoyed immensely.
A swimmer and weightlifter, Michael represented Australia at the 1964 Tokyo Paralympics where he won two gold, two silver and one bronze medal. He was one of only two Victorian athletes selected to compete at these games.
Following these outstanding results, Michael retired to concentrate on his studies.