Life Member since 2010
Paralympic Games representing New Zealand
- 1976 Toronto: Silver medal – Athletics Men’s slalom 4
Paralympic Games representing Australia
- 1992 Barcelona: Gold medal – Weightlifting Men’s Up To 90 kg
- 1980 Arnhem: Bronze medal – Weightlifting Men’s −75 kg paraplegic
- 1988 Seoul: Bronze medal – Weightlifting Men’s Up To 85 kg
- 1996 Atlanta: Silver medal – Powerlifting Men’s Up To 90 kg
Born in New Zealand in 1951, Brian has been a leading member of the Australian sporting community – winning five medals at six Paralympic games between 1976 and 1996.
Brian became a paraplegic after contracting polio at the age of eleven months. His passion for sport was fuelled by his teacher’s decision to exclude him from sports lessons during school.
In 1978, Brian moved from New Zealand to Australia after competing in one Paralympic Games for New Zealand.
His influence in sport extends far beyond his triumphs in the gym and on the court. Brian’s expertise and dedication to developing athletes saw him elected as the chairman of Australian Weightlifting for People with Disabilities.
He was employed for three years as the strength and conditioning coach for Collingwood Football Club and also spent six years promoting sport in schools for the Victorian Department of Sport and Recreation.